Sunday 12 June 2011

Aqua Sheko Fish Spa

The first time I saw a fish spa I was traveling in Thailand, and though I was intrigued by the idea I didn't feel brave enough to try it as I was a little apprehensive about lying (submerged up to my neck!) in a tank full of nibbly fish. Luckily, it hasn't taken long for fish spas to make their mark in the European beauty industry, with new salons sprouting up all over the highs streets, fish spas are now seen as a truly indulgent treat. As I am always on the look out for new trends and new pampering experiences I was excited to try my first fish pedicure at Aqua Sheko's glamourous flagship salon in London's Soho. Being one of the first premier fish spas in London Aqua Sheko is popular with celebs and bridal parties alike ;).
Upon arrival at Aqua Sheko I was warmly greeted at reception before being taken down into the spa, where my feet were washed in preparation for the hungry Garra Rufa fishies ;). I was treated to the Aqua Sheko Deluxe package (£45), which includes 25mins of fish therapy and a 20 minute massage. I chose the foot fish therapy as my tired feet were in dire need of pampering.
Although I am quite 'ticklish' when it comes to my feet, the gentle biting action of the fish didn't bother me - it felt almost like I had my feet in a jacuzzi, with the bubbles gently massaging my feet. There were a few fish who nibbled more vigorously than others, but it didn't feel sore or uncomfortable at any point. After the first few minutes I began to relax and enjoy the green tea and spicy snacks that were thoughtfully included as part of the package.
With the dark interior of the salon, the gentle trickling sound of water and mesmerizing movement of the fish I felt like I had been transported far away from the bustling streets of Soho!

After the fish pedicure my feet felt incredibly smooth and soft, so much so that my shoes felt slippery! The fish had done a wonderful job at removing hard skin, even in hard to reach areas around the cuticles and at the back of the foot. I have also read that this treatment does wonders for a vast range of skin ailments including eczema and psoriasis.

For the second part of my treatment I was lead into a small room, separated by a curtain from the main salon, where I had a neck and shoulder massage. Though 'neck and shoulder' is rather deceptive as the masseuse managed to work out some knots in my back, as well as massage my arms and head. After a long day spent slouching over a desk my back truly felt rejuvenated, while the tension in my shoulders had melted away.

The Aqua Sheko fish spa was a fantastic experience that I would recommend to anyone searching for a fun and original treatment. With prices starting from £17 (for 15 mins of hand fish therapy) it makes an affordable treat for yourself, as well as a great pampering present for a loved one.

Have you ever tried fish therapy? Let me know what you think of my new Garra Rufa fish friends ;). xxx
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. i've never tried the fish therapy but I know if I ever have the chance i will just jump on it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I follow your blog but had to officially "follow" after reading this post!

    This is one of my worst nightmares (fish around my body in general) and yet I am so intrigued! Great post! :D

    Elle
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend wants me to try this treatment but i really am not sure :s seems a bit scary....keep imagining jumping as the fish nibble and water going everywhere. lol x

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do they keep the fish tanks clean? I mean, here in the US they are required to clean the pedicure basins after every single customer, for sanitary reasons, and I don't know how they can do that with the fish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't try this yet and I am willing to experience this kind of relaxation because according to many rumors this will rejuvenate my body and hopefully offer me health benefits.

    spa packages

    ReplyDelete
  6. siryoz0 said... it is for the feet dear....would you let the fish nibble your genitals? I think not

    ReplyDelete

© Natalya's Beauty Blog- Filthygorgeousmakeup. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig